If you are considering roof installation you may be faced with the decision of choosing the type of roofing material best suited to your home. Contemporary roofing materials are available in a range of materials and metal and tile are among the choices for homeowners who are looking at cost effective solutions for their roofing. Roofing materials have improved over the years and are highly effective in withstanding weather conditions.
Concrete Roofing Tiles
This type of roofing material is popularly used in certain geographical areas of the country and can be recognized for its distinctive style. There are many reasons why roofing tiles are chosen over its metal counterpart.
- Contemporary tiles are available in a range of colors including vivid and earth tones and can blend well with your home style. The colors endure because of certain treatments during the manufacturing process and are available in many combinations and patterns.
- The material will not warp, rust, or corrode and are fire resistant.
- The tiles can last up to 2 decades with regular upkeep and are available with warranties.
- Ideal for cool and moderate climates
- Provides excellent insulation and energy efficiency by keeping homes warm in winter and cool in summer.
- Can be accessorized with attic vents, and other roofing paraphernalia.
- Contemporary tile roofing is available in lightweight versions which can be installed in layers with concealed fasteners for a streamlined and aesthetic appearance.
- Like all roofing maintenance is required but mainly only for gutters, flashing, vents.
- Resistant to insects boring and wind suction.
- Better noise reduction ability than metal roofing.
The few drawbacks about this type of roofing tiles are that you may have to use roof pads to walk on the material to prevent damage and though the initial cost may be slightly expensive but the lifespan is more than other materials.
Metal roofing is chosen by some homeowners due to many reasons. Many homeowners consider this material superior to roofing tiles of different composition materials as more durable for home protection when compared to other roofing materials. Metal roofing is available in tin, galvanized and coated steel, and aluminum among the choices. This strong roofing material has improved and evolved over the years and is now available in lightweight materials of many shapes, sizes, and patterns. These types of roofing materials are low maintenance and resistant to weather conditions, such as hail and wind.
Metal roofs are fire resistant and can cover larger areas using minimum framing. It is ideal for residences and has the ability to reflect heat away and saving energy costs. If you choose metal roofing it can match your home building style. It will require underlayment and expertise to install so it is advisable to use the services of professional roofers with excellent track record of installing metal roofs. Metal roofing offers security and can be installed over previously tiled roofs.
Drawbacks of metal roofing include noise levels during rain or hail and the initial cost though the comparative cost differences of roofing materials are decreasing. Metal roofing is increasingly being used for roofing in many areas across the country, due to the newly improved corrosion resistant capabilities, beauty, and performance.
Finally, it is up to you as an individual homeowner to make the choice between the different roofing materials based on personal consideration. You could consult roofing companies that have many years of business experience before you select your roofing material to get the best return on your investment.